Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Another itchy skin day. Usually by late morning, every day, my arms start to break out in itchy spots from all the sweating I do. Today is particularly itchy. Why do I have to have such sensitive skin if I am going to be working outdoors in a hot, tropical climate. My usual remedy is to jump in the lake to cool off.  Where are my prednisone pills when I need them? Nothing like self-medicating yourself when there are no limits to what you can get at the pharmacy.  Don´t freak out. I take them very rarely. Just to get through days when I´ve had enough of the heat rash that really never goes away. Today I just stopped working earlier than usual and hung out in the kitchen. I taught Danilo and Felix how to make a carrot cake for their friend Maria´s birthday. It turned out good. I explained we had to trim the edges because our hot oven without a thermostat burns the edges of everything we bake. A good excuse to have cake scraps for my coffee at night.  I told them it was my service fee. We are also experiencing a bumper crop of tomatoes so I helped Dalila make about a gallon and a half of ketchup. They love the stuff. It´s what they use in place of tomato sauce. I wanted her to make part of it without sugar, but I got too tired, itchy and hot to care.  Oh, yesterday I made some nice, hot salsa with roasted tomatoes and jalapeƱos. It came out good and hot. Looks like I will be eating most of it by myself. Most think it´s way too hot. I ate it last night with roasted pelibuey (half goat, half sheep). This morning I ate it with stuffed squash flowers. While I´m in town I´ll have to remember to buy some tortilla chips to eat with the guacamole I´m going to make.


I am excited to see how God is making a place for me to talk to kids young and old about God and get them to make Him a part of their lives. I just began teaching Christian education at the elementary school located on the orphanage property. I spend half an our with three classes twice a week. Pray for me. I need serious help in how to teach preschoolers about God. I´ve also started meeting with the young men at CICRIN to study the Bible, pray, and to talk about issues of concern to them as young men. I´m excited that I am getting to do exactly what was in my heart to do. So my plate is full, but I have a lot of time to prepare for lessons and discussions. I´m expecting God to do great things in all our lives here in Ometepe Island. I´ll keep you posted.



 Felix and Danilo, the dynamic duo, always together
 Milena, Connie and Me getting ready to go to the Ojo de Agua
 My nemesis, the bus aka el chocoron. It broke down on me yesterday. It hates me.
 Brother and sister, Milena and Jose Antonio
 Serious work, having fun at Charco Verde
 Hellen enjoying the sand at Charco Verde
 Tio Jose with new charge Jose Hilario, joined us just two days ago.
 Danilo looking cool after giving all the small kids a ride around the beach.
a typical scene on the island, small store or `pulperia`with Volcan Concepcion in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment